Bit locker is a hidden encryption program from Microsoft. We have to disable that in order to perform Symantec encryption. In order to check if bit locker is present on your machine please do this.
- Go to start button and type Cmdà you can see a black color window on the search list. Please right click on it and select Run as an administrator.
- Type this command on the box manage-bde –status c:
- If you see percentage encrypted is 00 then it means you have no bit locker. We can install Symantec.
- If you see that percentage encrypted is 100% then you have to first remove bit locker. For that run this command manage-bde –off c:
- You can see the decryption will be initiated. Please wait for 5 to 10 min maximum and the check the status again using the status command manage-bde –status c:
- Once it reaches 00 then we are good to install Symantec encryption.
DOWNLOADING SYMANTEC ENCRYPTION DESKTOP
1) You will receive a link to download the product when you purchase the license with Symantec. Or it will be serial number. ( eg : M12367895)
2) If you have the serial number go to http://Fileconnect.symantec.com
3) Put the serial number. And Kindly choose Symantec Drive encryption 10.4(this is latest for Symantec drive encryption as if now.)
Note: don’t get confused with endpoint encryption and encryption management server. That is only for server environment.
4) Once you choose the Symantec drive encryption you will get a list of download files.
5) Look for the latest version available. In the list. (E.g. if we have 10.4.2 and 10.4.2 hf1 available. take 10.4.2 hf1 as latest.)
6) Check for your OS. (We will have download files for MC, windows and Linux for each version.)
7) If you have windows machine. Click on the + sign near to the latest version available for windows. ( eg 10.4.2 windows zip)
8) if you click on + sign you will get a https download link for that new version. Download it. And extract the zip.
INSTALLING SYMANTEC ENCRYPTION DESKTOP
1) Once you extract the zip you will get 2 installer files. One is for 32 bit machine and one is of 34 for bit machine. Second one will be 64 bit( x64)
2) Most of the machines now will be in 64 bit. So double click on the second one. hit ok on the language box after choosing your preferred language.
3) Accept the license and hit next. Don’t display the release notes. Next. Install.
4) it will take some time for installing the product.
5) Reboot the machine when it prompt for it,
ENROLLMENT OF USER AND STARTING ENCRYPTION
1) Once the machine is rebooted. You will get a pop up “enable PGP desktop from this account. Click on yes.
2) Enter the license number when it prompted. Currently this is the license key ” DUWFY-U0J3X-FTPFW-YL3VW-X7ZMX-AJC“
3) Also click next. Name and primary email address. Next
4) Skip all the following screens if you are using only the whole disk encryption. (make sure you uncheck automatically detect my email accounts while skipping the pages)
5) Finish. You can see a icon will be generated on your machine on you task bar near to your volume bottom and all to open the Symantec encryption desktop.
6) Or you can search for Symantec encryption desktop in your start button of the machine.
7) Open Symantec encryption desktop
8) in order to encrypt the disk. Go to PGP disk –> encrypt disk or partition–> Select the disk on the first box and then hit encrypt.
9) It will ask you for the user registration, this is a very important stage.
10) Two option will be given “use windows password or create new password”
Note: after the machine is encrypted whenever you start the machine you will have a Symantec login screen for securing the machine. if you need same windows login password of your machine for the encryption screen also go with ” windows password.” or if you need different login for Symantec screen please choose option 2.
11) Let’s go with same windows password. Click on next. Choose password authentication and next.
12) Make sure on the username field you have the correct windows username( mostly it will be correct)
13) Type your domain if you have else leave it. And on the password box please type the correct windows password.
14) Check the box enable single sign on.
15) Finish. Now you will be able to see a new user will be created in User access box of PGP disk.
16) Now we can start the encryption by hitting the encrypt button again. If you find it greyed out. Close the Symantec encryption desktop and open it and go to PGP desk–> encrypt disk and then select the disk and hit encrypt.
17) you will get token prompted now( Whole disk recovery token) please make sure you note it down as if something happened to your windows password on Symantec login screen this token can be used as alternate.
18) Encryption will be starting when you hit ok in Token screen. Make sure power cable is connected and also in windows 10 machine please make sure Sleep mode is disabled. (Type on your search box of windows “Power and sleep settings ” and you will get the sleep options. Change it to never.)